One morning I decided that I wanted to learn a new thing every day. So I decided to share my experience with everyone.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Jiminy Cricket was a weatherman

Did you know that cricket can tell you what the current temperature is? According to the Dolbear’s Law, the number of cricket chirps by minute is in direct relation with the ambient temperature.

The formula is Temperature in Fahrenheit = 50 + (Number of chirps per minutes – 40) / 4.

In Celsius the formula is Temperature in Celsius = 10 + (Number of chirps per minutes – 40) / 7.

But don’t throw your thermometer away just yet, this formula only apply to snowy tree cricket which is not the most common one. The formula may apply to others of the 900 species of crickets, but may not be as accurate.


Most of the articles on these pages are taken from different site. Since I tend to strip the article to only keep the essential, I don’t use quote because it would (to keep it simple). Link to the used resources are kept in the link section. If you want to know the sources for any particular article, just ask the question in the comment form.