One morning I decided that I wanted to learn a new thing every day. So I decided to share my experience with everyone.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Happiness is 22 milliseconds away

Yesterday, I friend of mine ask me if I knew why vendor where insisting that a lower refresh rate on LCD computer monitor was a necessity. He was arguing that a 8ms refresh rate should be more then enough since the human eyes only see 24 images per second (1/24 so 1 image by 42ms). Above that, CRT monitor have typically 22-28 ms refresh rate and the image is crystal clear.

He had a good point. So I did my homework and I found the difference. Each pixel in a CRT emits most of the light in under 1ms. So if you have a 22ms monitor, each pixel need 23 ms (22ms refresh rate + 1ms to emit the light) to change state. In a LCD, will emits light for a much longer type … nearly 20ms. So if you add this to the refresh rate of an old LCD (between 12 to 25) you can have a display time of 45ms … which is way over the 42ms baseline.

This explain why old LCD where kind of blurry when playing a movie. Nowadays LCD have a much better refresh rate, between 2 to 8. But again, this add up to 22ms to 28ms for a whole cycle which is more closer to the average CRT monitor.


Most of the articles on these pages are taken from different site. Since I tend to strip the article to only keep the essential, I don’t use quote because it would (to keep it simple). Link to the used resources are kept in the link section. If you want to know the sources for any particular article, just ask the question in the comment form.