One morning I decided that I wanted to learn a new thing every day. So I decided to share my experience with everyone.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Jingle bells, Jingle bells …

Today’s fact regards the number of Inuit words for snow. A popular belief is that Eskimo as more than an hundred words for snow. In the Central Alaskan Yup'ik language, there is less than 25 words to describe snow.

Well, this might still seem a lot, but in English, there’s at least 40 words including berg, frost, glacier, hail, shush, flurry, sleet. Now you can argue that all of this words describe a different state/form of frozen water, but this is exactly the same for the Yup’ik language.


Most of the articles on these pages are taken from different site. Since I tend to strip the article to only keep the essential, I don’t use quote because it would (to keep it simple). Link to the used resources are kept in the link section. If you want to know the sources for any particular article, just ask the question in the comment form.