One morning I decided that I wanted to learn a new thing every day. So I decided to share my experience with everyone.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bite Me

Today, I was browsing random article on wikipedia. I usually don’t find anything really interesting using this method (and today’s no exception), but I was struck by the complexity of the article title: Gnathodynamometer. God, who comes up with theses names ?

A gnathodynamometer is apparently an instrument for measuring the force exerted in closing the jaws. Better yet, there’s an adjustable version called a bimeter gnathodynamometer (with an adjustable central-bearing point).

As per the inventor's (JN Snodgrass) design study, the instrument works well "in measuring maximal bite force and masticatory efficiency of incisor and molar teeth, respectively."

Experiments carried out with a Snodgrass gnathodynamometer at the Lerner Marine Laboratory in Bimini, Bahamas revealed that a 2m 6ft 6 ¾ in long dusky shark (Carcharhinus obscurus) could exert a force of 60 kg/132 lb between its jaws. This is the Strongest Bite Guinness World Record.

Now, this is what I call a crappy job … I don’t known how much the guy that is installing the gnathodynamometer into the shark mouth is being paid, but I sure that it’s ain’t enough.


Most of the articles on these pages are taken from different site. Since I tend to strip the article to only keep the essential, I don’t use quote because it would (to keep it simple). Link to the used resources are kept in the link section. If you want to know the sources for any particular article, just ask the question in the comment form.