One morning I decided that I wanted to learn a new thing every day. So I decided to share my experience with everyone.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Dancing in the Rain

Today's, I learned a new term: Rain Shadow. The principle is nothigh spectacular, but still, I learned something new.

A rain shadow is a dry region on the surface of the Earth that is leeward or behind of a mountain with respect to the prevailing wind direction. A rain shadow area is dry because, as moist air masses rise to the top of a mountain range or large mountain, the air cools and the maximum moisture content decreases until it reaches the dew point, where the water vapor condenses as rain or snow and falls on the windward side or top of the mountain. This process is called orographic precipitation. The effect of the process is the creation, on the leeward side, of an area of descending dry and warming air (see Foehn wind), and a region that is quite arid.


Most of the articles on these pages are taken from different site. Since I tend to strip the article to only keep the essential, I don’t use quote because it would (to keep it simple). Link to the used resources are kept in the link section. If you want to know the sources for any particular article, just ask the question in the comment form.