One morning I decided that I wanted to learn a new thing every day. So I decided to share my experience with everyone.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Diary of a Killer Cat

Ok, I wasn’t going to talk about it, because this is not the kind of article I usually discuss in my blog, but since yesterday I saw this article at least half a dozen times and it even made the 6 o’clock news. And since it from the New England Journal of Medicine, I decided to talk about it, just to add my own explanation.

From the article on Yahoo!

“Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours. His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.”

You can read the full article here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070726/ap_on_fe_st/death_cat;_ylt=AmR5dcvU_SgPvsrcjCBhdt3q188F

I got ton of explanation for that:

Maybe it’s a psychological effect. The first time it happen it was a lucky shot and the rumor start off that this cat can predict death. Then once the cat was in your room, you were so sure that you gonna die, that you let yourself go.

Or even worst, maybe all theses people where actually allergic to cats and the cat simply kill them by staying by their side.


Most of the articles on these pages are taken from different site. Since I tend to strip the article to only keep the essential, I don’t use quote because it would (to keep it simple). Link to the used resources are kept in the link section. If you want to know the sources for any particular article, just ask the question in the comment form.